 Castle / 12630
Re: I know it's been brought up before, humor me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:21:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
Why do you read stories posted to .castle (or anywhere on lugnet)?  Do you
read them for the plot lines?  Do you read them to be nice to the person
who posted?  Do you read them not for the story but merely for the eye
candy (pictures)?  A combo of these, or some other reason entirely?

I read the stories for a number of these reasons.  It depends on various
factors.

I'll initially look at pretty much any story posted here.  But I am
primarily here for Lego.  So generally, if I don't see any Lego then I very
quickly leave.  If I wanted to spend a bunch of time reading fantasy
stories, I'd buy a book (which I don't because I simply don't have time like
I used to).  Making me stick around doesn't always take a whole lot of Lego
if the story is interesting and easy to follow.  If a story is really long
and not very interestingly illustrated, I'm outta there.

If it is illustrated, but the whole (plot plus imagery) isn't very good, I
might leave.  Or I might read on to be nice to the person who posted.  If I
think that some improvement can be made, I'll sometimes pass on some
suggestions.  But this can be tricky, as not everyone takes constructive
criticism well.  If I can't find something positive to say and I'm not
really comfortable with the person, it's not worth me trying to pad what I
have to say and I won't bother.

The plot line alone won't bring me into a story, but it will certainly help
keep me around.  Frankly, for a long time I wasn't interested in the
Chronicles of Ikros because I wasn't interested in reading the unillustrated
chapters.  I didn't want to spend the time to read those chapters, but they
contained important information that made it really annoying to try to keep
up when reading just the illustrated ones.  At first my solution was to just
not read any of it.  But I still occasionally glanced at stuff when you
announced it, and the quality of the writing combined with wonderful Lego
imagery[1] made me get interested in it enough to take a second look.  I
eventually went back to the beginning and read the entire story from the
first chapter to wherever you were at the time.  There are some parts that I
don't like[2], but for the most part it is very well planned out,
well-written, and has beautiful Lego goodness.  I got hooked to the point
where I will happily read unillustrated chapters... as long as they aren't
all like that.

[1] I really like creative part usage, neat buildings, etc. but am not a
huge fan of overly-edited images.  I like to see little bits of digital
tweaking (such as removing backgrounds), but images that have more fake
stuff than Lego do nothing for me.  My favorite special effects are those
involving Lego such as the semi-invisible Kullvox.

[2] For Anthony: If you are really interested to hear what I'm talking about
here, feel free to mail me directly.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com