 Castle / 12399
Re: Heraldry - help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:23:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark Chittenden writes:
By The Way - Heraldry actually has nothing to do with dimensions or
conventions of shields. Heraldry is a system using the written word to
describe a visual representation of a crest or coat of arms (the identifying
insignia, be it personal or national).  Shields were the most common method
of displaying heraldry - after surcoats (the tunics worn OVER armor). In
fact, Coat of Arms (the display or insignia) gained that terminology after
the practice of displaying one's personal or national insignia on one's surcoat.

Yes, you are right. I just read an e-mail sent by someone who knows about
this, and there was a small explanation.
According to that same e-mail, there isn't a single document where the
shield is defined. Shameful for our legislators... so I'll  just have to use
a ruler and the like to measure an "official" shield.

Thanks for all contributes,

Pedro