 Castle / 11248
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:49:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello everyone!

I was as surprised and to see this post as anyone last night.  I obviously
knew of this set, but I don't think this is how LD intended to unveil their
first MOC product.  I don't mean to scold the folks of Lugnet for jumping the
gun, but this post took the wind out of the sails of any official announcement
to be made by Lego Direct, which I presume was scheduled for today...

Anyway, thanks for all the compliments and messages in regards to the
release of this kit.  I have made an agreement with Lego not to discuss specific
details on our arrangement, but I would like to address some of the more general
questions that have been brought up:

How was my design chosen?  I did not submit my design through any kind of
contest or even approach Lego in any way with my kits. I will say that a certain
VP at Lego bought a copy of my original Brickmania kit and obviously liked it a
lot.  How the idea of making their own version of it came about is purely
speculation on my part, but I was approached with the idea about a year ago.

Can anyone have their MOC turned into a kit? I suppose the answer is yes,
but they do not want to be flooded with kit submissions. My suggestion is to not
send your submissions to them as it is doubtful that they have the time to deal
with them.  Since my kit took more than a year in the pipeline, I would
speculate that they already have ideas of what they are doing next, purely
supposing that this is going to be more than a one-off thing.

Who owns the rights to the Blacksmith kit?  Lego.  I agreed to indefinitely
give up the rights to any further sales of my own Blacksmith Shop kits when I
agreed to let Lego reproduce them.  They have been very cool as to let me
continue to keep the pictures of my original kits posted on my web site, but
otherwise it is no longer my deal.

Was I paid for my kit?  Yes.  How much is none of your business!!!

What are the changes between my kit and theirs?  Cosmetically, the exterior
of the shop is more or less the same.  So far as I can tell from the pictures
I've seen, the slight differences on the outside are a different arrangement of
the ivy, an possible additional window on the back wall, and a substituion of
round bricks instead of octagonal ones on the chimney.  The interior has more
changes, like the addition of the attic space, which I understand makes it
easier to build the roof.  They have also ommitted the spinning wheel (and have
givin me the OK to use it again in a future kit) and changed the furniture.
Their minifigs are also different, which like the octagonal bricks, were
probably changed due to the parts I used no longer being available (pure
speculation here).

I'm sure there are other questions I have overlooked, so I'll do my best to
respond as I can.  I would like to say that yes, this is an important and
laudable step Lego is making in the right direction towards being more
responsive to the mature builder.  However, this does not mean that support of
the custom kit builders should be diminished, as there is no way that Lego could
keep up with all of the great custom model kits being offered these days.  I say
keep supporting the custom kit builders and every now and then we may all get
rewarded by LD picking up one of our designs. This would not have happened if it
were not for all of those people who paid $150 or more for my original kit.
Personally I thank all of those who have supported my custom model building and
they deserve a lot of credit for this coming out.

Dan

P.S. look for an important announcement next week on my next kit release - it's
going to be truly amazing!

In lugnet.castle, Paul Hanson writes:
Hi everyone -

I was just fooling around on lego.com and found something that may be of
interest:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?id=
%7B7B7F061E%2DEE40%2D11D5%2D8027%2D0008C7CAA0DE%7D

I've not heard of this, and a quick search here on Lugnet didn't turn up
anything - is this a new, heretofore unknown release?

In any case, way to go Dan! It's a cool-looking set (and a fine value, too!)

- Paul