 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3843
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:41:12 GMT

How was my design chosen?  I did not submit my design through any kind of
contest or even approach Lego in any way with my kits. I will say that a certain
VP at Lego bought a copy of my original Brickmania kit and obviously liked it a
lot.  How the idea of making their own version of it came about is purely
speculation on my part, but I was approached with the idea about a year ago.

Congratulations!  This is awesome :)

I'm sure there are other questions I have overlooked, so I'll do my best to
respond as I can.  I would like to say that yes, this is an important and
laudable step Lego is making in the right direction towards being more
responsive to the mature builder.  However, this does not mean that support of
the custom kit builders should be diminished, as there is no way that Lego could
keep up with all of the great custom model kits being offered these days.  I say
keep supporting the custom kit builders and every now and then we may all get
rewarded by LD picking up one of our designs. This would not have happened if it
were not for all of those people who paid $150 or more for my original kit.
Personally I thank all of those who have supported my custom model building and
they deserve a lot of credit for this coming out.

I've got mine around here somewhere... I *knew* I should have
inventoried it :)

Look forward to seeing your next creation :)