 Castle / 10752
Re: Yet another IOM question (or two, or three..)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:50:14 GMT

I must say that I have been following the IOM saga, and I find it rather
interesting.  I may even jump in myself soon!  But just so I understand
things better, I have a few questions.

We hope to have your talents put to IOM use soon :)

Does the mist represent unexplored land?  If so, how long does it take to
move from one square into another.  I know it taked 4-6 days to travel to
the Isle, but what is the time frame within?

The Mist represents not only unexplored land, but in some instances, land
that is suicidal or impossible to enter (1).  One MAY enter Level 1 Mist, but
it is rather useless - the terrain will not be revealed until later.  As far as
moving from one square to the next, I think we decided that to move across
one square by foot would be close to a day.  Inside the Mist this number
skyrockets.  It is *NOT* recommended that someone try to go into Level 1
Mist, although it IS possible.

Also, can you decide to land anywhere, or just previously explored territory?

You can land on any section of the map that is cleared of Mist.  Problems arise
if someone lands inside the Mist.  I suppose we could work with you on an
individual basis if you decided to do it, but there needs to be a good
reason for it.

Can you build settlements (i.e. forts, castles, towns)?  Is there a standard
amount of time for each one, or is it just up to the balladeer to be
reasonable and not construct a castle in two days?

Yes, and it's encouraged to build.  For the building, just be reasonable and
realistic.  Half the fun will be watching how the building develops over time:

Huts --> villages --> towns, etc ...

Great questions ... Hope that helps ...

-- Pawel

(1)  Level 3 and Level 4 Mist comes to mind:

http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/cw_isle/articles/mist/mist.html