 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 736
Re: The Titanic is sinking!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:17:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Anders Isaksson wrote:

(Still haven't heard from the Titanic lawyers - what shipping line owned it?)

:)

I believe the owner was White Star Lines.  Are they still around?  Seems
like they pretty much went down with the ship...

   Nah.  It totally screwed the builder and the line's owner,
   both of whom survived the disaster, but it was the war
   (and the loss of some converted liners to U-boats--the
   one in the ray-traces on the bottom looks more like the
   _Britannic_ than the _Titanic_, given the position and
   condition...) that in part forced White Star to merge
   with Cunard in 1934 or 35, with the latter buying out
   the holders of the former interest and eliminating the
   White Star 'brand' in the late 1950s (1957 or 58, IIRC).
   Cunard is still around.

   I'm not sure Cunard has ever raised a challenge to any
   open usage of the name 'White Star' in connection with
   Titanic.  It would be kind of difficult, with there being
   such a strong connection in the public mind.

But it would be difficult to see how they could complain about you
depicting the sinking of a ship that actually sank...

   But...but...it's HOW you depicted it!  Um, yes.  That
   depends on the definition of 'it'.

   all best

   LFB