 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2738
    Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —James Reynolds
   (...) Why not learn POV-Ray? If you know VB or C# or any language for that matter, POV-Ray is really simple compared to them (much less syntax to learn). I'm creating a new LDraw POV-Ray video tutorial that I hope to get online today or sometime (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Jim DeVona
     (...) Neat. I look forward to this, because I've been meaning to learn more about POV-Ray. I've been putting off doing final renderings for my recent LDraw models because POV-Ray has been a bit of a black box. Your point about its relative (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Florian Haag
   (...) Well, can you create a POV-Ray file which will automatically read in an LDraw MPD file and use settings files or maybe even a GUI to select submodels from the MPD file and render those to several picture files? That would be an interesting (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Timothy Gould
   (...) I imagine I can do that in less than 20 lines of POV-Ray code using an INI script. Tim --snip-- (18 years ago, 15-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Florian Haag
   (...) Well, great, also with a graphical settings editor? Is there any alternative for L3P then, which is written completely in POV-Ray? Or would the POV-Ray script have to call L3P then? Thanks for improving my knowledge on POV-Ray :-), regards, (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Timothy Gould
   (...) I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you spend the time learning how to use POVray rather than writing a GUI MPD editor then not only can you do what you describe really easily, as an added bonus you can make your renders look good in the (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —James Reynolds
     (...) Which is *exactly* what I've been trying to say (to other people in the past as well). I've also figured out a way to use an LDraw editor to create keyframes (because I'm tired of having to imagine everything and render and have it come out so (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Florian Haag
   (...) Sorry, no offense intended - I'm afraid I didn't provide a good description of what I was going to do. I was planning to write a little tool to automatically combine images (such as: take picture1, draw picture2 scaled down to 20% into the (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)

        Re: L3P question concerning MPD files —Timothy Gould
   (...) OK. Now I see where you're heading. Yeah if you want all that automated a program might be the best mesh. Being a script kind of guy I'd just do it all by hand in POVray and write a perl/imagemagick script to combine them. I never use standard (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray)