 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2411
Re: Raytracing a primarily black model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:00:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   Anyone have any tips for raytracing a black MOC with radiosity? I’d like some piece definition like this:

What’s the secret, Jeroen?
Thanks,
--Bram

I also suspect that properly placed lights will help. Increasing the ambient light will in effect brighten up all the colors evenly, and then lights that provide good reflection off the surface of the model back to the camera will help too.

Right...I was just wondering if anyone had particular settings they used in POV-Ray that worked well. Otherwise it’s just that much trial and error on my part, which is really slow when you’re using radiosity.
--Bram

I’ve had some success with black parts and radiosity. You can view the results here and let me know if you think the radiosity settings that I used would be helpful. Forgive me for inserting unofficial elements into the conversation, but the underlying radiosity issues are probably the same for clones and non-clones.

Dave!