 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2409
Re: Raytracing a primarily black model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:19:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   Anyone have any tips for raytracing a black MOC with radiosity? I’d like some piece definition like this:

What’s the secret, Jeroen?
Thanks,
--Bram

Hi Bram, I’m not much of a ray tracing expert, but this is an issue that even LEGO has addressed.

When I look at building instructions by LEGO, they translate black parts to a dark gray, almost the same color as the original dark gray. Many time’s I’ve gotten stumped searching for a part that I think is dark gray, but in fact is black.

I also suspect that properly placed lights will help. Increasing the ambient light will in effect brighten up all the colors evenly, and then lights that provide good reflection off the surface of the model back to the camera will help too.

Notice the brightness on the cow catcher on the front of the train? It is because the light is placed to give you glints (direct reflection from light back to the camera), making the surface appear as thought it were the color of the light, not the surface.

I hope this helps.

Kevin