 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2398
2397  |  2399
Subject:
My 3D Animation Diary (Was: The Minifig Macro)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:49:24 GMT

DAY 1, 20:00

Posted the following question to Lugnet.
"I have POV-Ray 3.1 and 3.5, ML-Cad, L3Lab, L3P, L3PAO, and of course the LDraw
package on a PC with AMD1100, 256 Mb RAM and a very old video adapter. What more
do I need to make animations like those?"
Not awaiting the reply, I assume that I need that library to begin with. So
let's start looking...
Found a file called 511_library.zip. No explainations added. Let's invetsigate
it...

20:15

I don't understand anything. Alright, let's try the POV-Ray Animation Tutorial.
Found a file called demo.pov.

20:30

Had to download four other libraries. Where am I supposed to unpack these
things? Never mind, let's put them all in the same folder. The last one, the
Countership, turns out to be a 404. Well, well, I deleted the section referring
to that one. More errors: color white not defined. I deleted that parameter. And
finally it worked, but I think only one frame was rendered. No ship of course, I
deleted that section. But no planet either. I wonder why.

- - -

After 30 minutes of frustrating trail and error, I feel that it will take a very
long time before an animated minifig takes its first stumbling steps in my
computer using POV libraries. I still prefer the self-contained approach of
L3P...

/Tore