 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2399
Re: My 3D Animation Diary (Was: The Minifig Macro)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:35:17 GMT

Tore,
Sorry.  Things shouldn't be that difficult.  I suppose I could have
made the Couriership demo easier (I'll have to fix the 404).  Anyway,
the minifig should be alot easier, because everything except Anton's
Library and POV-Ray is included.

Easy start instructions:

Download the minifig stuff.
Download Anton's Library.
Download POV-Ray if needed.

Method 1 (easier, but messier)
Copy everything in Anton's Library into the same folder as minifig.mac

Method 2
Edit minifig_whatever.ini and put the path to the Library folder where
it says Library=

Then, if you are using the command line povray, just select
minifig_whatever.ini render it.  I don't know if/what the Windows
POV-Ray GUI looks like, but I'm assuming you would set the Library
folder in the app somewhere (that is what the Mac GUI POV-Ray does).
Then open minifig.pov and render that.

After writing this macro, I am totally convinced that an Ldraw based
animator is way too ambitious.  Mainly because there is nobody doing
animation but a few handful of people.  I intend to use Ldraw as a
modeler from this point on, and for that I really do need it.  But to
render and animate, POV-Ray is the only way to go in my book (unless
you do the other real way and convert the Ldraw files to Blender, Maya,
Lightwave, etc.--but because of the blocky curves in Ldraw that are
transfered to those editing environments, I don't see this as a
solution that gets me enthusiastic--you would have to re-model most of
the round parts)

If you are still having trouble, email me offline and maybe I could AIM
w/ you and talk you through it.

James