 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2296
Re: Lights on the wall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:05:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Niels Bugge wrote:
Glad it helped, although I'm not quite sure how ;-)

Well, it got me out of the rut with it, and trying different things.

In lugnet.cad.ray, Allister McLaren wrote:
There's a lot about it in the helpfile, but you might consider raising the
diffusion of the walls, and you should definitly consider adding some thin
fog like in the "streetlight" example in the helpfile.

That seemed to help.

Helpfile, fog or diffusion?

The fog mainly.

I guess I have some homework to do, but could you please show or send me the
bit of code where you change the brilliance locally (all materials seems to
be declared once in the standard l3p pov-files)? I've managed to avoid it
untill now, dodging the need for venturing into the dimly lit and higly
difficult areas of the helpfile.

I did it piece by piece. Fortunaltey the pov file was created from an mpd model,
so the walls were easy to pick out. All I did was add a 'finish' statement at
the end of each individual instance of a wall part, vis,

// New Model
// Name: wall.ldr
// Author: MLCad
// Unofficial Model

object {
_2412b_dot_dat
matrix <1-SW/40,0,0,0,1-SW/8,0,0,0,1-SW/20,0,SW/2,0>
matrix <0,0,1,-1,0,0,0,-1,0,-280,-58,-220>
#if (version >= 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color8 }
finish {diffuse .5 brilliance .05}
         }

... and repeat for each 'object'.

That seems like an awfull lot of lights, you didn't use more that one for the
lights? (you know you can shape the lights in any form)

Yes, but they don't really glow the way I wanted. Each wall light is a spotlight
and a point light:

// create a point "spotlight" (conical directed) light source
light_source {
  <-220,-236,150>                     // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb <0.98,1,0.9>*3       // light's color
  spotlight               // this kind of light source
  point_at <-220,0,150>      // direction of spotlight
  radius 12                // hotspot (inner, in degrees)
  tightness 20            // tightness of falloff (1...100) lower is softer,
higher is tighter
  falloff 25                // intensity falloff radius (outer, in degrees)
}

// create a regular point light source
light_source {
  0*x                  // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb <0.98,1,0.8>*8
  translate <-220,-236,150>
  fade_distance 10
  fade_power 2
  shadowless
}

And what do you need
the skysphere for?

For a bit of ambient light. Normal ambient light is a bit too flat, althought
there is a bit of that in there too.

I think it's a really, really beautiful picture, and it litteratly shines
with all the effort you've put into it, the only thing I can put my finger at
is that the top of the tadpole seems to blend in with the background; what
about turning the wall lights down a bit = darker wall?  Another possibilty
could be moving the tadpole a bit to the left: in that resolution its 105
pixel from the left edge and 97 from the right, 8 pixel would bring it out
against the light grey part of the wall.

Thanks for the comments. To be honest, I didn't really put a lot of thought into
the composition, and the walls are a bit ad hoc - I was more concentrating on
the lighting this time. Now I'm a bit more confident with diffierent lighting
types the next one will be a lot better.

Cheers,

Allister