 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2180
Re: some experiments with HDRI and PovRay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:50:36 GMT

I am shure that it is much better than radiosity, but the disadvantage is, that
animations in 3DSMAX arn't as easy as in Pov-Ray.

Can somebody find out if it is possible to use that shader for gamersMAX, the
little&free brother of 3DSMAX?

FULL STOP!!!!!

sry for double-posting, but it IS possible to use HDRI in POV-Ray. You have to
have MLPOV! (Patch for POv-Ray 3.5)
Further information:
http://pov.monde.free.fr/mael/mlpov083eng.html

Don't ask me if they can be treated like normal POV-Files. I don't even have
MLPov...

Hi Martin and all others who have asked...
you're right! You need a patched version of Povray that is called MLPov 0.83.
It looks like the normal povray you all know. But you now can use the needed
.hdr-files for luminance and you have some other advantages with this patched
version. I'm not sure about all new features because the documentation is in
french:-( So I have figured out everything I know with try & error. Because I
rendered my first picture on friday last week, it is not very much I know right
now.
As I said you need MLpov... the original archive has an example you can use with
your model. You have to copy two sections to your original .pov-file. The .pov
and the .hdr file have to be in the same folder!
You should delete all light sources in your .pov file or comment them out using
//.
You should do some experiments with the .hdr-parameters in your pov file. It can
look like this:

sphere {
  0,1200
  pigment { image_map { hdr "bigfogmap.hdr" once interpolate 2 map_type 1 }
  }
  finish { ambient 0.06 diffuse 0.1 }
hollow
}
The 0,1200 is the first thing you should work with. In easy words the .hdr-file
is a projection of a landscape or similar on a sphere. Your model and your
camera are inside this sphere.

You can find several free hdri lightprobes all over the net. There are
commercial lightprobes too. Take a look at hdrshop. That is a tool to modify
hdr-files. So go ahead now and create your pov-files as always and then create
some cool pictures with MLpov.

Have a nice day and sorry for my bad english...

Sven