 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2084
Re: A different simple question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:10:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
Hello all you super-smart PoV-Rayers out there,

I am most definitely leaving myself out of that category. Especially after I see
the stupid questions I'm going to have to ask here.

You are rotating the camera around the y-axis!

I thought that was what I was supposed to do...?

You would like to rotate it around the vertical axis through the bowl's center.

Right. I thought that's what rotating through the x-axis would do. (apparently
not)

Translate the model center to origo, rotate, and translate back again:
   translate -<400,-54,400>
   rotate   <0,360*clock,0>
   translate <400,-54,400>
Look at the end of the POV file for model center:
// Center: <400,-54,400>

I knew about the model center comment at the end of the pov file, but I think
I'm lost about the rest.

Where should the translates and rotation be inserted? What do they do that makes
the camera's movement different?

The easiest way to create rotations is to rotate the model and leave
the camera and lights static:
object { bowl_dot_ldr
            rotate <0,360*clock,0>
         #if (version >= 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 }  }
But it gives a different effect.

In this case it would produce the same visual effect, because if you render the
scene you'll see that the only thing visible is the inside of the bowl (which is
supposed to look like a valley full of sand). However, I tried that and got a
similar movement to what happened with the camera.

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

~Mike