 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2073
Re: Simple POV-Ray Question - Perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:39:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
As long as you let L3P calculate the camera distance, the whole model should be
visible, and (mostly) fill the frame.  I just copied the L3P auto-camera
algorithm into LDView, and it works consistently for me with camera angles
ranging from 0.1 to 90.  (It should work beyond that, but I don't allow it in
LDView.)  Maybe L3P doesn't actually work this way, but that would seem really
strange.  On the other hand, if you're hand-specifying the camera position, then
it's up to you to make the proper adjustments for camera angle.

If you just do a straight "L3P model.dat," then you're right; the whole model
fits very nicely in the camera's view (though a little fish-eyed, I find).  But
if you switch the view to orthographic, the model can appear a bit off-center
and partially out of frame.  I suppose that changing the camera angle might
offset this, but my caveman-sophistication has never prompted me to play around
with that function in that way.

I don't mean this to sound in any way like I'm dissing L3P, by the way!  I give
thanks several times a day to Lars for this fantastic program!

     Dave!