 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1693
  Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

I've added a couple of new renders to my website, with much of the inspiration coming from fairly recent developments with radiosity mentioned in the lugnet.cad newsgroups. One is a render of the power drill featured on the cover of the "Lego (...) (21 years ago, 19-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc) !!

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Those renders are awesome - at first I thought they were photos! It took me a while to examine the pictures before I could convince my eyes that they were renders. It took sometimes also before I realized the drill was made out of Lego bricks! The (...) (21 years ago, 19-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) I saw a copy of the book at a local bookstore the other day, and I had to comment to my friends about it. "Hey, I know the girl who did this!" Geesh, I'm a goober. I did get the book, BTW. -TJ p.s. Nice domain name- I hadn't realized you'd (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Drool... Jeroen PS How long did that truck take to render? (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) talents :P As TJ said, the domain name was a first for me, I'll have to update my links page (for more then this reason). But I'm not the only one who has that sort of work assigned to me .) especially considering that arnesson.nu will die on (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Oh my. Those are not real Legos? I have a new respect for virtual modeling. Regards, Paul (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Oh! And thanks for improving my work environment! (URL) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Are the original source files for the renderings available anywhere? Would love to see what directives were used for those. karl ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Krieg" <pdkrieg@epix.net> To: <lugnet.cad.ray@lugnet.com>; (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

magnificent!!! the only way to be sure it is not a real model is that studs haven't inscriptions :) best regards pixel (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) Thanks! I got a lot of ideas for settings from some posts on the lugnet.cad groups a while back, when a red racing car was featured. There is a very small amount of focal blur at the back of the truck, it isn't amazingly obvious but I think it (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Thanks for the comments TJ. (...) I'm reading the book myself just now and am finding it incredibly useful, there is a lot about MLCAD I didn't know! Jennifer (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) It took over two days to render at 1800x1350, with radiosity and focal blur enabled. This was on an Athlon XP 2000+, and it peaked at over 1 gigabyte of memory. Just as well I upgraded the machine recently :-) Jennifer (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) It is a mains powered drill :-) I actually made a battery pack for it, but I think it took away from the archetypal drill appearance, so I didn't use it. It is funny how these things end up, I had 3 types of drills as inspiration for the model (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) There's been a lot of excellent virtual lego stuff coming out recently, I think the Lego CAD scene is undergoing a bit of a renaissance just now. Jennifer (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) I'll put the POV file for the truck online today and the settings for the drill. Jennifer (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Thanks Paul! (...) There's a reason for that :-) The truck render at 1800x1350 took over two days on an Athlon XP 2000+ machine, and used over a gigabyte of RAM. If you add the stud inscriptions it makes this a lot worse! The drill took only an hour (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) Maybe you should try LDraw Boxer (see: (URL) ) which is a real nifty application that replaces bricks with "hidden" studs for boxes sans studs. Saves a lot of parsing, especially on level 3! Jeroen (who is rendering the 8880 Super car for 9 (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

Hi Jennifer, Sorry for not having answered your private note earlier - I'm on very limited time these days. These renderings look ... simply perfect!. I'll also state the obvious: your drill image looks loads better than my drill image! Thanks for (...) (21 years ago, 20-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) Wow. I don't think I'll try anything too ambitious with my creaky old Powerbook then! (180Mhz, 48MB, and the faster of my computers) Joking aside, those renders are quite superb Jen. The drill was fun to see - my Dad has a blue cordless that (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) Thanks! It is good to hear that it resembles a drill in the real world, since it was a collection of features from quite a few. The real danger when building this model in my opinion was that it would end up looking like a ray gun or (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Drill and Hooklift Truck Renders

(...) I had a lot longer to tweak the settings though! (...) It is one of those arty things, the clouds and ground, as they were actually taken from a photo of the real truck. The clouds were added post render as a layer behind the truck, and the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.technic)