 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1676
1675  |  1677
Subject:
What's in a name... (was: Fog yourself)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:22:48 GMT

Jan-Albert van Ree is of course called Jan-Albert and NOT Albert-Jan van
Ree. Sorry Jan-Albert :-(

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jeroen de Haan writes:
Hi all,

After some e-mails with Albert-Jan van Ree, in which he tried to figure out
fog, I did some experimenting. The effect Albert-Jan was after (and actually
me too) was making the background foggier than the foreground. I have tried
it before with the standard fog (ambient fog in the PR3.5 insert menu) and
the results are shown here: http://www.digitalbricks.nl/fog/ . There are 4
images with fog distance 250, 500, 1000 and 2000.  I didn't find the result
satisfying, it's a bit all or nothing. I even tried altering the fog's color
filter but it wasn't actually what I wanted (the last 2 images).

Ground fog gave a much better result. I thought ground fog would be low on
the ground (hence the name) but it gave the result I (and Albert-Jan) was
after. Look here: http://www.digitalbricks.nl/groundfog/
The first 4 images are just some test images, the last 4 are images are
somewhat more realistic: an ICE model by James Mathis with 3 ground fog
distances: 1250, 2500 and 5000. The last images is sans fog.

Question remains: who to do real ground fog? I know Ahui did a poem with an
images of a graveyard with some eerie groundfog. Mabye he can share us his
parameters?

Happy rendering, Jeroen

PS Creme de la creme is using fog AND the atmospheric media. This makes it
more realistic but also slower to render. Will post result on brickshelf soon.