 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1672
Re: Level B Simplification - LDraw Boxer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:03:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Tore Eriksson writes:
Level B Simplification: Replace with plain boxes only those parts that has
all its studs and inside totally hidden by other parts.

I've just finished a program that scans for all non-transparent parts that
has their studs and bottoms covered with other non-transparent parts. Then
it replaces them with plain boxes, relieving POV from rendering studs and
tubes that can't possibly be seen anyway.

Just so you don't interpret the paucity of responses to indicate a lack of
interest, let me say for the record that this sounds like a fantastic
utility!

Thank you. Even if I were the only lugnut to benefit from the LDBoxer
project, I'd still find it worth the effort.

I haven't had time to download and install it yet, but I will try
to do so when I get home from work tonight.
On what basis does the program identify studs?  That is, I know that the
line-as-stud option in LEdit identifies "stud" in the primitive's filename,
but L3P doesn't seem to do it the same way.  Just curious.

Not the way you expect, I can tell! :o)
I've made a pile of .nfo files to be copied into the Parts\B directory. For
example, this is how b\3001.nfo looks like this:

Stud -30 0 -10
Stud -10 0 -10
Stud 10 0 -10
Stud 30 0 -10
Stud -30 0 10
Stud -10 0 10
Stud 10 0 10
Stud 30 0 10
Bottom -30 24 -10
Bottom -10 24 -10
Bottom 10 24 -10
Bottom 30 24 -10
Bottom -30 24 10
Bottom -10 24 10
Bottom 10 24 10
Bottom 30 24 10

where each Stud means two things: an area the covers the bottom area of the
part above, and a stud that should be covered by the same bottom area.
where each Bottom means two things: (the opposite of the above)
With tiles, it's different. You don't need to cover the top, so Top only
means an area the covers the bottom area of the part above.

Thanks for a cool resource!

    Dave!

Thank for your response, Dave!!
/Tore

PS. New versions of the program and the B directory is uploaded.