 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1548
  Teardrops

How the heck do I make good teardrop shapes in POV-Ray? I've tried with all manner of paired half-spheres, but I can't get the right "pinchiness" on the narrow end. I've also tried experimenting with splines and SOR formations, but I can't generate (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Teardrops

(...) A half-sphere and a cone? (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Teardrops

(...) A good suggestion! Maybe I can play around with a half-sphere, an open-ended cone, and a smaller half-sphere at the narrow end, but I'd kind of like to retain the roundness rather than the straight surface of the cone. I'll have to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Teardrops

(...) Try creating a lathe object using a quadratic or cubic spline. (URL) Lambrecht bram@cwru.edu www.bldesign.org (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Teardrops

(...) approximating the character of the curve. Orion emailed me a pointer to the Glob_5 shape in one of the POV-Ray .inc files, and that was quite a help. I played with the vertex sequence, but my liberal arts brain turns to mush when dealing with (...) (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Teardrops

(...) I gave this a shot... I pretty familiar with bezier curves from using them in CorelDraw, so I used a bezier_spline. Basically, for every segment you want, you create 4 points. The first and last points are the endpoints of the segment, and the (...) (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.ray)