 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1274
Re: Tilting the camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 02:21:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Don Heyse writes:
Sproat called it Roll in his tutorial.

That's what I would call it.

http://www.io.com/~jsproat/temp/Deciphering_L3P_Part_1.html

And should a negative angle be a tilt to the left or to the right ?

Hmmm, according to the picture in the tutorial, this makes the camera
roll to the right:

#declare ROLL = 30;
sky      vrotate(-y, z*ROLL)

So I guess a positive angle rolls right (if you use the -y convention).

Since most people are more familiar with clocks than polar coordinates, it
makes sense that positive would rotate the camera clockwise.  (Of course,
this "rotates" the scene counterclockwise, but hey.)

BTW, what is the term for tilting forward/backward ?

I would think this would be pitch.  (Yaw would be left/right.)

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.san.rr.com)