 CAD / Ray-Tracing / *1092 (-20)
  (Strange) error in POV-ray

Hi, I'm trying to render a model using the following commandline in L3P: C:\L3P\L3P.EXE F:\trainpos\M4564a_.dat F:\M4564a_2.pov -cg0,90,0 -b1.000,1.000,1.000 -q3 -lgeo -o And with only this model (I rendered more with the same parameters) I get the (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

Thanks everyone for those great explainations. And the graphic web link had a lot of good info on the LPI-DPI-PixRes descriptions. BTW Here's a 18" x 24" poster I made using MLCad + WinPOV + Power Point www.brickshelf.com/c...gi?i=94099 Each step's (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Fluorescent Lights

(...) Thanks! --Ryan ryanjf@ifriendly.com (URL) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: YATA Selling MOC Instructions...

(...) Bram, Thank you. The shadowless light helped as did as did a tip I found in an old message about rendering at a fairly large size and reducing the image later. Take a look at: (URL) (23 years ago, 21-Dec-01, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Merry Christmas! Scene on Brickshelf.com

After "playing" with LDraw, MLCAD, POV-ray, etc. for better than a year, I finally took the plunge and finished something. Check out: (URL) started with wondering how light would project through a "stained-glass" window in POV-Ray, and the idea (...) (23 years ago, 21-Dec-01, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.announce)

  Re: Fluorescent Lights

"Ryan Farrington" <ryanjf@ifriendly.com> skrev i meddelandet news:001801c188c7$79...dly.com... (...) Something like this perhaps? (URL) of all, I had to turn down the ordinary lighting as there are a lot of extra light sources: light_source { (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  RE: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) No, POV-Ray's rendering engine doesn't really care what the dimensions of your image are. It only cares about what you tell it the aspect ratio is. If you render with a default camera (4/3 ratio) to a square output image, you'll get an image (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) No, Bram is 100% correct -- the resulting image is distorted unless I account for the proportions of the image POV expects to render. -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> wrote in message news:000001c188be$d8...1681@bl... (...) Good point. Since I've never tried to render a square image, I've never run across this. I'm curious though, why do you need to do this? I figured it would be (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: YATA Selling MOC Instructions...

[XFUT cad.ray] (...) I used the orthographic keyword in the camera to eliminate perspective. I then placed three shadowless lights along the x, y, and z axes. The edges were done with MegaPOV's find_edges...perhaps this will help: (URL) file, be (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.appraisal, lugnet.cad.ray)

  RE: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) You may want to make it 6400x4800 or 4800x3600 so that the render isn't distorted. If you want a square picture, you will need to modify the camera object so that it renders to a square aspect ratio. Millions of pixels also take a while to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) I may still be confused slightly. From that article I gather that no printer (professional printing device) cares about anything above 200 LPI. The article further claims that one would generally want to print from an image 2 times the desired (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Fluorescent Lights

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully created what looks like fluorescent lights. I have tried inserting area lights, but the shadows created were too harsh; it just looked like incandescent lighting. I also tried the looks_like (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

Steve, I can explain better using black and white printers; for color, just add four times the explanation. For a monochrome printer, there is a tradeoff between lpi and grayscales. If you have a 600 dpi printer, and you chose a 600 lpi screen, you (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

I have been pondering this point for years, but don't know much about the half toning for CMYK ink mixing algorithms. Is this something you know about? Can you share some more info and or links to pages that explain the difference between printer (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

What kind of extraordinary printer do you have ??? Even with good inkjet photo printers (with so called 1440 dpi resolution, which is actually dot placement resolution), you can't see improvements above 200 dpi... To be conservative, your image (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) The typography, Man! It is the typography that compels me! -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) :-) (...) If you intend it for others to print, why not just provide the POV file and a link to the instrucitons I gave you for rendering it big? Let them render it and print it, save yourself the time transferring that 70MB file and the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) Many thanks, Tim -- this is exactly the help I needed. So easy too! Now I just need a place online to house a 65-70 MB 600 ppi file of my "Joined" hands -- now suitable for printing! -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Source files now available on Brickshelf for Cathedral of Ice

Last year, around this time, I introduced my "Cathedral of Ice" MOC. This model proved to be quite popular and I still get requests for the .dat files to make this model. To make this process easier, I've now posted the .dat files on brickshelf at (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.cad.ray)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact