 CAD / MLCad / 587
586  |  588
Subject:
How do you break down an inserted shortcut?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:45:48 GMT

There are certain things that I'd like to be able to create once and then
reuse many times in various different models.  The most obvious example is a
minifig.  I want to build him once in a sitting position and once in a
standing position, and then load him into various different models.  Then
for a given model, I want to swap out specific parts or change colors of
various parts.

But when you load a model (by dragging from the "models" node on the parts
tree into a view), you get a single line item that can't be broken down.  My
current workaround is to open the file in Notepad and paste in the minifig
from another file.  Then when I open it in MLCAD, I get the separate pieces.
I can recolor each or swap the torso for a printed one, etc.  Is there any
way through MLCAD's UI to load a separate model into the current model and
get the individual parts?  Another way to do this would be to load the file
in as a submodel and then merge them, but this doesn't appear to be possible
either.

Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com