 CAD / MLCad / 537
536  |  538
Subject:
Follow up to Camera Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 04:12:32 GMT

A few messages ago, I brought up a technique for setting camera positions in
POV-RAY by setting up light source objects in MLCAD.  I had heard this from
someone else.

Another person suggested just setting the coordinates by getting moving the
mouse in MLCAD.

I've tried this now and the results are excellent!

I'll describe the procedure again (since it was in a reply before):

- Create your model in MLCAD.  You don't need to place any POV light sources
unless you actually want to use them to place additional lights.  Keep MLCAD
open during the following steps.
- Use L3P to create a POV-RAY file.  You don't need to use any special
options.
- Open the file in POV-RAY.  Scroll down to the bottom and find the
vaxis_rotate and look_at commands.  The vaxis_rotate is the camera position,
and the look_at is where to point the camera.  The trick is how to set these
coordinates!
the camera.  Notice that, as you move the mouse, the X,Y, and Z coordinates
are displayed on the status bar.  Unfortunately, only 2 of the 3 will be
displayed on any one pane.  To get all 3 coordinates, you will have to move
the mouse to the correct spot on 2 panes.  Copy the 3 coordinates into the
vaxis_rotate command (only the first 3 coordinates).  Repeat the procedure
for where you want to point the camera and plug that into the look_at
command.
- Now run the image.  I got a perfect result the first time!

I hope that helps.

Brad