 CAD / MLCad / 1023
1022  |  1024
Subject:
MLCad *has* no perspective display (was Re: MLCAD wrong perspective display?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:46:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Damien Guichard writes:
No doubts, MLCAD is the best LCAD modeller.
However, I use it since version 1.7 and I am still disturbed by display in
perspective view. Basically, what is strange is that close things display
thiner while distant things display larger. The reverse way would make much
more 3D sense. Or his my vision itself reversed?
L3Lab also suffers from the same distorsion.

These 3D views are not perspective views. They are isometric.

In a perspective view, parallel lines not exactly in the plane of the viewer
eventually intersect (at a vanishing point). This matches how we see things
in reality, since distant things appear smaller to us.

In an isometric view, parallel lines, no matter what direction they run with
respect to the viewing plane, are parallel.

This allows for more accuracy while moving things about and I think it is a
bit easier to render.

So I would say MLCad is working as designed. Adding a perspective view might
be an interesting feature to request. I suspect it would be hard to do that
and also allow dynamic rotation, But if you want 3d realism, consider POVRay
for rendering as it does give perspective views if you so choose (you can
also set it for isometric I think)