 CAD / MLCad / 1026
Re: MLCad *has* no perspective display (was Re: MLCAD wrong perspective display?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 16:04:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Bram Lambrecht writes:

Since we are so used to seeing things in perspective in real life, the
isometric views can seem strange at times.  For a large model we expect it
to get smaller as it goes back, so in an isometric view we "see" it get
bigger when it goes back simply because it's larger than we expect.
Does that make sense?

Good point. I forgot to mention this optical illusion, which is well known.
Two things which are the same size but which are surrounded by visual cues
that suggest that one ought to be smaller will actually not appear the same
size after processing in the brain. The one that "ought" to be smaller will
appear bigger.

This illusion has been published in, for example, the two circles surrounded
by other size circles... one smaller size, one larger

In this case, we are getting visual cues that the items farther back ought
to be smaller because they, after all, are farther back. So we see them as
bigger when they actually are the same.