 CAD / LeoCAD / 113
Re: Unofficial LeoCAD parts update #17
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.leocad
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.leocad, Juergen Stuber wrote:
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> writes:

While it may not be as pretty as LeoCAD (or well documented)
ldglite does work on linux.

But isn't Ldglite just a viewer, compared to the editor Leocad?

No.  It started out as a viewer, but I added an LEDIT compatible
editor mode a long time ago.

That said, it seems to have the advantage of actually working,
so maybe Emacs + Ldglite would be a viable way to edit Ldraw files.

You can do it that way by putting ldglite in polling mode.  In fact
that's what I initially thought would work best for me.  But the poll
and redraw cycle is slower than using the builtin LEDIT keyboard
interface.  As an emacs user, I really enjoy the efficiency of the
LEDIT keyboard commands.

Last time I tried Leocad it crashed after a short while,
so it is not usable for constructing nontrivial things.
That was about a year ago after I got my Laptop with a Radeon
3D graphics card.

Yeah, I had a similar problem with Leocad a long time ago.  I started
looking into it but I couldn't keep up with the changes Leonardo was
making at the time.  I think he moved away from the gtkglarea widget
and that doomed my efforts (or something like that).  If the source
has stablilized, maybe I should take another look.

The Debian package is not really installable for me, because it has
dependencies that are incompatible with a lot of other software I use.

Are you talking about the ldglite Debian package?  You don't really
need it.  Ldglite is actually fairly easy to build yourself.  The only
toolkit it requires is glut.  Most distributions come with a glut or
freeglut package already built to use the accelerated opengl drivers.

Don