 CAD / LDD / 162
Re: First Impressions: LDD 2.0 and building with Technic elements from NXT.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd, lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:10:41 GMT

Perhaps I am not harsh enough.  Build a model that shows the possible gear
ratios for gears contained in the NXT kit.  You can even mail it to me if
you like, at this address.  You need not worry about filesize.

Granted, meshing gears is awful. You have to place the gears on axles with space
between them, rotate one with hinge tool until they could match, then move the
rotated gear and axle in meshing position. And trying to modify a gear ration in
an already done model is even worse.

And the hinge tool does work on Technic elements, and building triangular
structures is difficult but possible. As an example, see my rover here:

Yes I know it works on Technic elements but the annoying part is that if you
have a friction pin in the way of where you want to rotate or align to, you
have to move that out of the way first, rotate your part so it lines up
properly, and then you have to put that friction pin back in again.  It
would be more sensible for the LDD software to test if you can line up the
beam on friction pins first, during the rotation phase, and signal if that
is indeed possible.  Another problem is that objects sometimes will not
rotate to the precise angle required on bent beams.  Which means you've got
to get it close enough for the software to want to pop the two assemblies or
beams together.

I'll have to retry that, my experience was not that bad. Maybe I was lucky.
That said... my preferred CAD tool for Technic remains LeoCAD !!!

I found it was due to that you have both the .lxf file and
the .jpg file embedded in the same URL, which the site does not understand
when my browser sends it as a http get request.

Above I have fixed them so they appear on separate lines and hopefully click
properly.

Strange, it works for me... oh well... some browser problem... Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Philo