 CAD / LDD / 159
158  |  160
Subject:
First Impressions: LDD 2.0 and building with Technic elements from NXT.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 01:35:33 GMT

This is possible to do, yes you will receive annoying messages that you
won't be able to save or upload any models you create, but at least you can
wander around in a daze trying to make something using the 'free build'
option.

Firstly, when placing technic elements, the program is very cumbersome when
it comes to orientation of elements.  It is impossible, for example, to
rotate a bent beam onto the other end of the same bent beam without first
obtaining an axle and having that 'flip' the bent beam onto the other end.
It took me a few hours to figure out how to even get it to rotate elements
so they would line up the way I wanted them to.

Secondly, the program has no 'Z' axis control whatesoever.  That is if
you're trying to shift that 4L half beam up onto the top end of a 15L beam
where there is an axle it could pop onto, forget it.  It simply cannot drag
things 'up' a beam and position things where you're trying to get them to
go.

Thirdly, if you are going to make triangular structures, forget it.  The
program simply cannot with any elegance or grace be made to position beams
at angles that are not 90 degrees.  Attempting to do so will drive you nuts.

Fourth, the program simply does not have the ability to use the "rotate"
hinge function on technic elements - this function would be ideal to get a
piece to rotate to any angle other than 90 degrees, if only the designers
had thought to make it recognize axles, pins, etc. positioned inside liftarm
peg holes as rotatable hinge parts.

I would try building something virutal out of a Mindstorms kit with LDD,
however, the amount of effort needed to individually rotate and shift
elements will drive me bananas until such time as they improve LDD to
actually rotate elements by any angle other just than 90 degree steps.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde