Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:32:49 GMT

At 03:05 PM 6/12/99 +0000, you wrote:
As I wrote you, if you're going to name submodels a, b, • c...etc. let the
letter have significance. a should be the first submodel • appearing in the
instruction booklet, b the second...etc...

Do you have to have everything that is a submodel in the
instructions, a
submodel in the model. There are times when that doesn't make
sense.
If not we need to know which ones are complex enough to include.

This is a complex issue. The thing is, what is easy to click together with
Lego could be difficult with LDraw. I would say LDraw uses submodels much
more often than Lego would in its instructions. Say for example an angled
wing assembly like on the M:Tron Particle Ionizer. in Ldraw you would
probably want a submodel, but in real life you could just click it
together. So this needs to be handled on a per-case basis. I would prefer
each submodel in a model (or set if there are no models) ;) so that someone
can work with just a submodel, for example, the cargo boxes on the M:Tron
Multi Core, or the Space Police jail on the Galactic Mediator. But the
actual construction of a model in ldraw should be addressed in a per-case
basis. But ideally the only submodels would be the official submodels in
the instructions.
-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org