Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:38:24 GMT

At 08:12 PM 6/12/99 +0000, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
But ideally the only submodels would be the official submodels
in the instructions.

All LDraw submodels that are not official sub-models can be inlined and
then the separate parts moved around to keep the order of attaching
pieces correct.

Good solution to this problem.  We are assuming that these models will not
be edited or modified or if they are very little, right?  The idea of this
repository is to give people access to the files so they can look at them
in LDraw and if they desire use pictures generated from them on their
personal sites.  Some people like to modify TLG sets (including myself in
some cases) to fit their needs.  I would assume these inlined files would
not get too much in the way of doing that.

Then again, making the models editible is not our responsibility.  Our
responsibility is offering accurate duplications of TLG models in LDraw.

Ideally, an instruction generator should be able to go through the main
DAT file and create instructions almost identical to the official
instructions.  IE, STEPs and submodels should be added at the correct
times.  That way, when the instruction generator encounters a submodel,
it can change the background color temporarily, draw the submodel steps,
change the background color back to the original, and finish drawing the
rest of the model.

Correct, and very good idea.  I hope it works with the system we're setting
up.  If not, it should work for the most part, and we cannot forget about
the age old method of doing things by hand. :)

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com