Subject:
ldraw.org Model of the Month
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:39:37 GMT

Yet another mini-project that can enhance ldraw.org...

I remember talking about the Model of the Month feature and plans for it,
but discussion fizzled.  I think we can get this up and running in a few
days if we recall what was discussed and if someone can write a small
voting program for it.

We could do an actual model of the month competition where people submit an
LDLite or POVRay rendering for voting on an ldraw.org page.  The model with
the most votes can be displayed on the main page for the one month period
of time.  That model will have a larger page devoted to it linked to off
the main page with a description, author info, tools, etc...  And past
winner models could be archived off the voting page.

--Or--

Terry Keller did suggest having a pool of rendering images (I'd like to see
30 or so...) and the server displays a random one each time someone visits
the main page.  This is a great idea, and provides a new face to the site
each time, but I'd prefer the model competition.  LMK what you think on this...

The model of the month competition is doable within the next week if I can
get someone to write a simple voting script.  I have absolutely no
programming experience (lemme just kick myself now), so um yeah... :)  The
voting script should just be able to handle radio buttons and possibly read
from variables written in on the HTML page or the radio button names.  (am
I making sense here?)  Then it would email me on the results at the end of
the month, or say a few days before that month comes up, to give time to
prepare the new pages.

If someone would like to volunteer to write that, it would be great!

Thanks!

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org