Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Dan Boger wrote:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Jacob (who doesn't think he'll accept the redistribution agreement)

Jacob - I think you understand these things a lot better
than me.  Could you explain your thoughts?

I haven't thought it properly through yet, but I would like
to have some assurance that either the basic characteristics
of the license will remain unchanged (for example through a
fixed "human readable" version of the license)

That's hard to put into legalese, I fear, but I agree that's an important
concept. I think we all agree once we have this fixed there won't be, and won't
need to be, change at the macro level. How WOULD we go about codifying that
idea?

or that I as
an individual parts author can block "my" parts from having
the license changed.

I'm not so sure I'm in favor of that as it seems hard to administer and achieve.
What parts are "your" parts? Parts you were the sole author of? Last author?
First Author? Bulk of the work? This is a collaborative effort.

Also, it is not clear from the redistribution agreement that
the parts authors' names will remain in the parts files
(even though I assume it is the intent).

I think it's the intent. One thing we've not completely resolved is how to track
ownership completely. Post Parts Tracker the data is there. But do we want to
carry, in the part, a trace of every single time the file was touched? I think
it might be useful info, but it might be hard to retrofit in, and may make some
parts a bit longer. If we could figure out how to do it easily I am not against
it.

But maybe I should just join the beer-ware crowd and not
worry so much.

No. Reasoned concerns are good things to bring up.

Although what is the beer-ware crowd? I like beer. Do you have a URL?