Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:55:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
LDraw.org is under no obligation to distribute the library, and may suspend
distribution for any length of time as it sees fit.
What is the reason for requiring this clause in the licence?

In case we find a part that's broken or wrong, we are under no obligation to
release it.

But that's not what the text says.

The one real reason to have two agreements (AFAIK) is that we don't want to
treat the library is simply an archive of all the individual files -- we want it
to have a unique identity.  So using 'file' and 'library' interchangeably is a
real no-no, you know?

Anyway, assuming the above statement is intended to address the contribution(s)
made by an individual author, it needs to be expanded a bit.  LDraw.org needs to
have the freedom to do any of the following, as fits the needs of the
organization: (a) reject the contribution, (b) accept the contribution, (c)
modify the contribution as needed, in any way, without limit, (d) drop the
contribution from the library.

Assuming the above statement is actually about redistributing the library as a
whole, the statement is accurate, but needs to be expanded (but possibly not in
the contributor's agreement).

Steve