Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:02:02 GMT

Steve said:
I'm not philosophically opposed to an old/new library, but it would
be awkward to administer.

And Larry said:
Although you can argue that people agreed to the distribution tacitly,
because they submitted parts via the newsgroups or via the Parts
Tracker...

Had to look up "tacitly":

  in a tacit manner; by unexpressed agreement; "they are tacitly
  expected to work 10 hours a day"

And if I understand things correctly, you could argue that, but you'd be
wrong :)

  "I know it's a common assumption that everything posted to a newsgroup
  is public domain ... but guess what, just posting something does not
  mean you give up your copyright."

  (from http://www.tipz.net/sins_copyright.htm)

I think we will be forced to drop files from the new library, until the
authors either agree to the new license, or the parts get recreated from
scratch.  Of course, until we have some critical mass of authors
agreeing to a license, the new library won't be of any use to anyone.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com