Re: Steering Committee candidate Tim Courtney - backgrounder and position statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:08:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I thought I would add my own backgrounder and position statement like Larry did. I also encourage other Steering Committee candidates to do the same.

I think this is a great thing to do and I’m glad you did, because it gives me a hook to hang this reply on.

Gentle Readers...

In my view, when thinking about steering committee candidates, it’s important to think about what their approach to the tasks of the committee is likely to be, and to think about their identification of the needful tasks, and to think about their views on the relative importance of the various tasks.

We have a great number of candidates that have made important contributions to the body of work that makes up LDraw over the years. And contribution is important and should be fostered and recognised, and I’m grateful to each and every one of the candidates for their contributions and for their willingness to be considered for these important posts.

But in my view the Steering Committee positions should not be viewed as sinecures or honorary positions, to be awarded to whoever is most popular at the moment, or the biggest contributor of parts, or programs, or reviews, or site content, or the loudest talkers on LUGNET.

These positions ought to go, instead, to the candidates that you feel have shown the greatest skill and ability at helping resolve community issues and in being open to ideas and viewpoints even if they don’t share them, and in fostering change and, frankly, at getting organizational things done without getting bogged down in political or (techno-)religious wars.

Because there is much important work to do. Make no mistake about that.

This committee is *not* window dressing, and this work is going to be hard, and it’s going to be fractious, and it’s going to require listening carefully to what everyone has to say and it’s going to require building consensus, and it’s going to require good writing ability and and it’s going to require sound judgement, and most of all, it’s going to require a real LOVE of the community and what it has accomplished so far.

And when you think about it that way... and when you form a list that ranks the candidates by those attributes there is no doubt in my mind, and there should be no doubt in your mind either, what name goes at the top of the list...

That name is Tim Courtney. No one has done more to realise the vision of ldraw.org than Tim has, and no one has more potential to do more good for ldraw.org going forward than Tim has.

Tim Courtney has my unreserved support, and he should have yours too. I hope we’re both elected, because I think we make a great team, but I will support him in any case. I hope he can count on your support too.