Subject:
Steering Committee candidate Tim Courtney - backgrounder and position statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:51:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I thought I would add my own backgrounder and position statement like Larry did. I also encourage other Steering Committee candidates to do the same.

--

I’m encouraged and thankful that the community has decided to embrace the LDraw.org Bylaws and move in the direction of a democratic organization. This presents new and exciting opportunities for growth that the previous system of self-selected volunteer leaders did not allow for. Its now time for the community to evaluate the list of outstanding candidates for Steering Committee office and carefully choose who will lead the organization.

I’d like to take the opportunity to explain who I am, why I am running for Steering Committee office, and what my goals are for the organization and hobby.

I have been involved in the LDraw community as a user for about seven years now, and as an organizer for about five. I worked closely with other community members to launch the LDraw.org web site in early 1999, with the site going live in July of that year. This site created a unique identity for the LDraw community, in the wake of James Jessiman’s passing in 1997.

Since the launch of the site, I have worked hard to promote the LDraw system in the fan community and to the public. I have maintained a strong presence in community discussion issues online, sharing my views and listening to the views of others. I have had the unique privilege of participating in numerous meetings and community events, as well as events which have positioned me as an ambassador for the LDraw community to the public. I have written about LDraw tools in an effort to help both new and experienced users get more out of their LDraw experience. And I have focused on building relationships across the fan community that enhance what I am able to contribute to LDraw.

One thing that’s brought me great pleasure over the years is watching how the LDraw system has transformed the LEGO hobby. I recall perhaps ten years ago, when as a child I wanted a LEGO CAD system so desparately that I called LEGO Consumer Affairs to beg they send me their internal software -- I wanted to build with unlimited bricks. I was ecstatic when I discovered the original LDraw program, and when I was able to figure out how to use it. Today, it’s great seeing how many people the tools have touched. The LDraw system has allowed us to share our ideas with people on the other side of the planet! It’s allowed us to categorize and inventory parts, encouraging the exchange of parts that allow for grand and glorious LEGO projects to be realized. The LDraw system has also encouraged some gifted people to write software which allows us to wow each other with stunning images of our work.

I’m excited to see this new direction unfolding for the LDraw community, and believe it will bring even more opportunities for the hobby.

Larry summed up my feelings on focus better than I ever could in his backgrounder and position statement here: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=2891. See his bulleted list of items to focus on, I share in his sentiments.

In the first year of the community organization, I would like to see a few things unfold:
  • Resolve licensing and library distribution issues so the parts library can be distributed as one unit. This will cut dependence on the original LDraw software and allow more flexibility and ease of use for both users and developers.
  • Work with the Jessiman family to resolve licensing and copyright issues around the original LDraw software to the benefit of both their family and the community.
  • Encourage and support the development of tools that further lower the barrier to entry for users, while also benefitting developers.
  • Encourage a few dedicated volunteers to join the web site staff and work to better LDraw.org’s web resources for all users.
Please feel free to write me at tim@tim(mylastname).net if you have any questions or concerns. I will do my best to address them in a timely manner and to your satisfaction.

Thanks!

-Tim

PS -- In the interest of full public disclosure, according to Bylaws Subsection 6.02(a), that I am a part-time employee of the LEGO Company, currently holding a retail associate position, as I continue to work on my college studies.