Re: The big question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:52:04 GMT

- as an up and coming organization?

I think an LDraw organization should be in place to facilitate and encourage
development of software, evolution of the LDraw file format, and addititions
to the LDraw parts library. It should also work to evangelize the LDraw
system of tools and the LEGO hobby to LEGO fans who are not users

  I like the idea of 'centralized LDraw resources', a webpage where you can
find a list of all software available and help organize discussions for
standards and additions to the library (doing a great with the updates).
Everything else will come over time from individuals in the community as it
have always been in the past.

- providing them the appropriate resources to learn how to use the tools and
techniques

  Yes, keep all tutorials in the same place but also tell people to come to
the lugnet newsgroups for help.

Here's a few thoughts on the community dynamic...

This is a hobby. We do this because we enjoy it. Some might say, "because
this is a hobby, we shouldn't be organizing." I say, let's work together to
establish an organization that advances the hobby, which will in turn bring
us better tools and more users to share in enjoyment of the hobby with.
Let's use this to foster the building of not just virtual bricks, but
relationships. If we do this, in the end we will be able to enjoy a richer,
more vibrant hobby.

  I consider us pretty well organized for a hobby, we have come a long way
from what we were when we started doing this. I've known some of you for
years and even been lucky to meet some of the people here in person when we
went to NY.

One of the programmers in the community once said to me that he wrote his
tool for his own enjoyment, and wasn't very motivated to put any more time
into developing it than he needed to create a tool which he could use
himself. Admittedly, I was taken aback. I've been focusing for quite a while
on lowering the bar, evangelizing LDraw, and getting people to communicate
with the aim of creating something better. At this point, I realized that
not everyone has the same grand vision :-) Some do, but some others are
perfectly content to play with their toys and don't really want to put more
energy into it (or can't, for some reason or another).

  I think that's how it started for all of us, we all wanted different a way
to make Lego instructions but were not happy with the options available (be
it a part, a tool or an entire new CAD software). I wish I could go back to
5 years ago when I was still in college and had plenty of free time to code
but things changed and when I get home and I have to choose between VC++ and
real Lego, I'll take the real Lego (that's why I've been lurking for the
last years).

None of this (organizational goals) is going to happen overnight. These are
good goals as a community to aspire towards. We need to realize that
different people are involved with LDraw for different reasons. We're all
unique, and some aspects of this hobby interest one person more than another.

  When I think back about James I don't think he ever planned to get
organized like you do but that was a long time ago and things changed a lot
in 7+ years so maybe today he would want to try to push it forward.

  What I'm trying to say is like you said, this is a hobby and we all have
different levels of interest/energy, some want to take it more seriously
than others but it's important to focus on how far people want to go.

  This sounds more negative than what I wanted to say so I'm gonna go back
to lurking.

Leonardo