Re: The big question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:27:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I want to preface my answer with a few thoughts.

I've seen what amazing potential these tools have in all aspects of the LEGO
hobby. People from all over the world have written me talking about how they
have applied LDraw to what they do. Whether it's just building 3D models of
their own LEGO creations, or whether it's using the tools in the classroom
and teaching them to kids.

Also, talking to people in person at events has opened me up to this. I
think the org should happen so we can foster growth - better tools that are
easier to use, more parts, etc - will help many others derive enjoyment from
this stuff as we all have. This is one of the reasons I am pushing for this
so hard. Believe it or not, I've had a strong renewed interest in org issues
for many months now. It's an issue that needs to get settled, and one that
once done, will benefit everyone involved. I want to fulfill the original
intent of LDraw.org as a central resource, and make it a tool for bettering
and promoting this hobby.

So...here's my answers.

Short answer:

An LDraw/LEGO Fan CAD organization should seek to:

- maintain and distribute the core LDraw properties, the file format and
parts library, as free and extendable resources for everyone's benefit, in
the spirit of James Jessiman
- charter the stewardship of file format standards to a group of technically
competent individuals, in order to maintain and develop this community owned
resource
- foster communication among interested individuals
- promote the virtual LEGO hobby through online resources, events, media
exposure, literature, etc
- support developers of new and innovative open-source LDraw standards-based
software
- gain further recognition and acceptance of the LDraw system of tools
- establish and maintain communication with The LEGO Company, LEGO fan
organizations and clubs, educators, organizers of applicable special events,
individuals in the CAD industry, and the like
- represent the interests of the LDraw/LEGO Fan CAD community to the above
- adapt and respond to other existing and potential future LEGO CAD formats
as they are released, whether fan developed, existing CAD formats, or
formats released by The LEGO Company

Long answer:

- as an up and coming organization?

I think an LDraw organization should be in place to facilitate and encourage
development of software, evolution of the LDraw file format, and addititions
to the LDraw parts library. It should also work to evangelize the LDraw
system of tools and the LEGO hobby to LEGO fans who are not users

- providing them with the tools to document their models, create their own
building instructions, and create 3D LEGO artwork (such as POV-Ray or
otherwise rendered scenes).
- providing them the appropriate resources to learn how to use the tools and
techniques

- as a website?

The website (which people are working on improving) should be dynamic,
allowing contributions from different individuals in the organization and in
the community. It should be the first source of LDraw-related news. It
should actively maintain links to the software built upon the LDraw system.
It should seek to build a community of users and developers around itself.
And a lot more stuff which I could ramble on about... :-)

- as the central resource for the LDraw parts library and file format?

LDraw is the foundation on which all related tools are built. It's the
beginning, but it's not the end. The parts library is LDraw.org's greatest
asset. The org should assert itself as the official guardian of these resources.

- as the keeper of the flame, continuing what James Jessiman started?

This community has strong historical roots, but we can't allow ourselves to
be tied down by them.

There are a handful of people here, myself included, who were around when
James was still alive. We started the original L-CAD mailing list together
out of the Minifig World Tour in late 96/early 97. Conversely, there are
many more people here, interested, and participating who have joined the
community since then. They don't have an emotional link to James, and they
don't have as much if any historical perspective like the old timers.

Our link to the memory of James Jessiman should be kept alive. He's the
founding father of the LDraw community, and was a friend to many who still
participate here.

Here's a few thoughts on the community dynamic...

This is a hobby. We do this because we enjoy it. Some might say, "because
this is a hobby, we shouldn't be organizing." I say, let's work together to
establish an organization that advances the hobby, which will in turn bring
us better tools and more users to share in enjoyment of the hobby with.
Let's use this to foster the building of not just virtual bricks, but
relationships. If we do this, in the end we will be able to enjoy a richer,
more vibrant hobby.

We're a collection of unique individuals who are all motivated differently
and have different skills, interests, and commitment levels. We should move
forward with mutual respect for that.

One of the programmers in the community once said to me that he wrote his
tool for his own enjoyment, and wasn't very motivated to put any more time
into developing it than he needed to create a tool which he could use
himself. Admittedly, I was taken aback. I've been focusing for quite a while
on lowering the bar, evangelizing LDraw, and getting people to communicate
with the aim of creating something better. At this point, I realized that
not everyone has the same grand vision :-) Some do, but some others are
perfectly content to play with their toys and don't really want to put more
energy into it (or can't, for some reason or another).

None of this (organizational goals) is going to happen overnight. These are
good goals as a community to aspire towards. We need to realize that
different people are involved with LDraw for different reasons. We're all
unique, and some aspects of this hobby interest one person more than another.

That's enough thoughts from me for now :-) I most certainly have more, but I
want to get these out for discussion and do other things for a while. I'm
looking forward to hearing what you have to say :-)

-Tim