Re: LDraw.org announces new MLCad subdomain and re-organization of resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:05:07 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney writes:
For the past week, I have been working with Michael Lachmann and Jacob Sparre
Andersen to give LDraw.org a more MLCad focus.  We are proud to announce the new
subdomain at LDraw.org:

http://mlcad.ldraw.org

You'll notice there's not much there yet.  Because of some unforseen issues, we
were unable to finish moving resources over to the new site in time, and I
wanted to get this site update and new subdomain out as soon as I could.  So,
over the next week or two, we will be gradually putting the changes mentioned on
the page into effect.  We hope you enjoy what is going on at LDraw.org.

LDraw.org has undergone a bit of re-organization to facilitate easier management
of the site.  Also, the new News section archives the past Feature Articles in
an easy-to-find manner.  Check that out at http://www.ldraw.org/news/  Any LCAD
enthusiast is invited to write an article for LDraw.org about their
exeperiences, share their tips, etc.

Also, in an increased effort to aid new users, I have created a page called
'Introduction to DAT Utilities: Getting the most out of your LDraw Experience'
which helps transition new users into some of the more popular utilities.  This
document is by no means static, its open to suggestions and help for
improvement.

http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/introdat.html

We plan to continue along these lines.  A few other projects in the works will
ensure that software downloads stay up to date.  Also, tutorials are in the
process of being written and converted to the LDraw.org and mlcad.ldraw.org
formats.

A bit of trivia - for the week of December 3, LDraw.org received 12164 hits, and
per week the hits have been increasing at about 750-1000 hits per week for the
last ten weeks.  In that ten week period, LDraw.org received about 6500 unique
repeat visitors.

On behalf of all of us at LDraw.org, I hope you enjoy the new developments at
the site.  We are committed to providing the finest possible resources for the
DAT file format and are encouraged to see LCAD grow.

Special thanks goes to Jeff Boen for providing the necessary MLCad artwork for
the pages.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne

What do you mean that I should try MLCad first before LDraw?  I am not even
sure how to download LDraw, let alone MLCad.  I am confused and I need help
in downloading this program.  I do not program computers very well.

Jesse Long