 CAD / 6160
Re: LDraw setp help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:13:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad, Jesse Alan Long writes:

What do you mean that I should try MLCad first before LDraw?  I am not even
sure how to download LDraw, let alone MLCad.  I am confused and I need help
in downloading this program.  I do not program computers very well.

I did not say try MLCad before LDraw.  I said try it *instead*.  Here's the
skinny:

LDraw and the DAT file format are the original developments by James
Jessiman.  They were made in 1996 or thereabouts, before he died.  His
original editing tool, LEdit, has not been updated since then and it is DOS
based, and difficult for a new user to grasp.

MLCad is what we call a 'Second Generation Editor' to the DAT format, a
Windows editor which handles DAT files just like LEdit (the original editor)
and LDraw (the original renderer) did.  It is Windows based, and it is easy
to use (compared to LEdit).

If you follow the instructions at
http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/newuser, you should be fine.  Set up
LDraw  (you have to, its required right now with the way things are set up
for the parts libraries, simple), then proceed to the MLCad setup
instructions.  Set that up, run MLCad, have fun.

I would prefer if you keep your question asking to *one* medium, either
personal email or LUGNET.

-Tim

I can not use DOS or any programming systems because I do not know any
computer languages except for a VERY small fraction of BASIC.  There has
also been a strange message when I downloaded MLCad on to my computer.  The
message said that it would not let me view MLCad.  I know I have plenty of
free space so that is not the problem so what else could be the problem to
downloading MLCad on to my computer?

Jesse Long