 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 81
Re: video card
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:13:46 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> writes:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Mark Abrams writes:
Here is the printout at startup.

GL_VERSION = 1.1 APPLE-1.1 GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_APPLE_specular_vector
GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixel GL_APPLE_client_storage
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_VENDOR ='Apple' GL_RENDERER ='Generic' GL_RGBA_BITS: (5, 5, 5, 0)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 16 GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8 Buffer Swap Mode = 0
Editing mode = 1{0}

If this sounds buggy, then it may be a good place for me to start with the
debugger.  I borrowed a copy of 'OpenGL Progamming Guide' and a book on
Graphics Programming algorithims.

Before you debug, I'd try all 4 of (-le, -ledit, -LE, and -LEDIT)

I have tried all 4.  The differences are subtle, I'm not sure I see them all.
I like -le the best because I can see the entire model on each refresh.

to see which methods have problems.  Then comment out this line in
main.c and recompile:

  #define USE_OPENGL_STENCIL

I commented this out but it did not make the trailing go away.

I can always get the trails if the first thing I do when I open the app is to
move a part.  After that, the trails go away completely.  It is actually worse
when I can't see any trails, because I don't know where the piece has gone.

This might fix the wireframe droppings at the cost of some speed.

The problems with editing mode all stem from the fact that opengl is
not setup to do this sort of thing without resorting to extensions.
It's very slow to make copies of the various buffers if you just want
to move one little piece around without redrawing everything.  The
autocad folks added the KTX_buffer_region extension so you could
backup the buffers quickly in unused video memory, and nowadays the
pbuffers extension is starting to catch on for this as well.  You
have neither available, so I resort to a trick using the stencil
buffer as something of a cache for the depth buffer.  I've had
problems with this on the nvidia TNT, and now perhaps on your setup.
Compiling out the use of the stencil buffer might fix it.

I wish I could find some info on that GL_APPLE_client_storage
extension.  It has a promising sounding name.

That does sound promising.

Mark