 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 63
Re: [Re: Introductions]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:48:55 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> writes:

Oooh, I realize this is off topic here, but did you get the JDEE to
work in windows?  If so, could you help me out and tell me which
versions of everything you have that actually work together?

I will e-mail you my .emacs file and we can have a mail discussion about
setting it up.

[snip]

How are the multiple panes handled in the blender?  Is it one big
program, or a separate thread, or process per pane?  Just thinking
out loud and wondering how this could fit into the current architecture
of ldglite...  You know this gets me thinking, I've always wanted to
add a small gui for things like a file open dialog and such, but
wanted it to use pure opengl for portability.  Now with all this java
stuff happening, I wonder if a java wrapper for ldglite could solve
the gui problem in a portable way, without interfering with the core
keyboard and command line driven opengl rendering engine.

I think we need to get a good design first.  The language we chose should be
secondary.  A good design may reaveal the best language(s)

Another thought is to script a parser for ldraw parts in python for
blender.

What exactly is blender?

Blender is a very cool 3d graphic design app, and game engine.  It can be
scripted in perl.  You can dl'd the binary for free at www.blender.nl.  It has
been ported to OS X (recently) and linuxppc (for some time now) as well as many
intel and alpha architectures.  I definately recommend a looksee.  At first, it
does not make any sense in terms of how we expect an application to respond to
mouse clicks/drags/etc... but when you learn what the functional keys are and
do a couple of tutorials, you will soon see just how overused the mouse is in
so many graphic design apps.

Mark