 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 59
Re: [Re: Introductions]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:21:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Mark Abrams writes:
I'm Mark Abrams.  I hope this is not a duplicate but the previous post
I sent doesn't appear to have made it here.  I have 2 bachelors degrees
- one in studio art and the other in computer science.  I am currently
employed as a Java developer.  My career goals include Software
Architecture.  I have always wanted to target the MacOS but until
recently, that has not been a feasable option.  I have been a Mac user
since the mid 80's, but my education and employment have always been
in Unix and Windows environments.  There's not a whole lot of employment
opportunities for Mac developers in upstate NY.  I tend toward open
source tools and development.  The JDEE (java development environment
for emacs) is my favorite IDE.

Oooh, I realize this is off topic here, but did you get the JDEE to
work in windows?  If so, could you help me out and tell me which
versions of everything you have that actually work together?  I
tried to put this together with xemacs and fsfemacs and various versions
of java and all those lisp packages and never, ever, ended up with
something that works.  Although it does now take just about forever
to load a java file into emacs, so it must be doing something...

I see the other thread on Java development and would be glad to pitch
in on design and/or development of that.

I have dl'd ldglite and like it very much.  I think that the mouse is
overused in most apps and really like the key commands in ldglite.  It
would benefit greatly from multiple panes.  I'm envisioning something
like blender (www.blender.nl).

Wow!  I can't believe I'm reading this here.  I always thought I was
alone in my preference for the keyboard over the mouse.  It just seems
wrong somehow, seeing this in a Mac forum.  :)

How are the multiple panes handled in the blender?  Is it one big
program, or a separate thread, or process per pane?  Just thinking
out loud and wondering how this could fit into the current architecture
of ldglite...  You know this gets me thinking, I've always wanted to
add a small gui for things like a file open dialog and such, but
wanted it to use pure opengl for portability.  Now with all this java
stuff happening, I wonder if a java wrapper for ldglite could solve
the gui problem in a portable way, without interfering with the core
keyboard and command line driven opengl rendering engine.

Another thought is to script a parser for ldraw parts in python for
blender.

What exactly is blender?