 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 60
Re: Any help I can offer I will
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:53:02 GMT

"Brian Kelley" <kelley01@visi.com> writes:

Unfortunately I dont have a detailed programming
background... however I have been involved in
Creating instructions and designs with LDRAW
and MLCAD processes through the use of a pc. I
am a native Mac user and come from more of a
graphic design background. ANY help I can offer
at all I am willing to offer. Maybe we should drop
the hat to pay someone to design a program?

Put your hat back on, and put your money back in your pocket, please.  There
seem to be people willing to help and plenty of ideas to go around.  Actually,
I think the volume of disparate ideas has been a hindrance as someone else
already mentioned.

As I've said before, I'm oriented toward open source, so I won't be doing
development on BrickDraw which uses CW as its primary tool.  I would like to
see that succeed however as I have an old IIci that it might run on someday.  I
like ldglite and the fact that it runs on OS X but I think it is too early to
tell if we should extend it's capabilities or start over.  There has been some
talk about a building from scratch and I think we should at least start with a
design plan.

We need to document the features and functionality that will be in the ideal
app.  Now maybe someone has done that, I know everyone on this list has at
least thought about it. I'm going to start with some things I've seen posted
here, and some things that I've perceived from existing 3d apps (not just lego
cad apps).

Features:
Part/Model viewer
Parts editor
model composer

Functionality:
parses ldraw files
remote access to parts files

I distinguish between features and functionality because I see features as
those things which the end user would consider to be part of the app while
functionality is what goes on behind the scenes.  This is not always a clear
distinction and can be somewhat arbitrary, but I believe it will help us get
our concept into prose.  Ultimately we need a specification for an
application.  Once we have that, we can begin discussion and creation of an
object model.  With an object model, we will be better able to go in and look
at the features/functionality of existing systems and evaluate whether or not
they or their components may be used as a component of our app.

What features and functionality do you see in this app?

Mark