 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 430
Re: L3P Launcher for Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:04:09 GMT

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/lego/l3p/

Nice user interface.

Hey, how'd Lars get to see the interface?  I didn't see any screenshots
on the webpage.  I'm curious, does it look like l3pao, or lpub, or
something completely different?  James, have you considered talking to
Kevin about providing a GUI for lpub that runs on OSX?  I'd almost bet
that aside from the GUI the lpub source code is fairly portable.

Um, Lars must have Mac OS X...?

Here are some screenshots:

http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/L3PLauncher1.jpg
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/L3PLauncher2.jpg

The app is Cocoa, so I can easily make the GUI using Apple's Interface Builder,
which is just a drag and drop GUI maker.  Easiest thing in the world.  I just
set the background to Apple's "Brushed metal".

I have already started on totally changing the entire interface.  I want to make
it so that I can use L3P Launcher to make QTVR models.  That is, I have some
perl scripts that I used to create these:

http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/BlueJet.mov
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/BlueJetFlyby.mov
http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/Exo_53.mov

All the scripts do is execute l3p with a different camera angle.  I want L3P
Launcher to be able to do that, and other batch renders.  So I am changing it so
that there is a batch render queue, and then each queued render can have a saved
l3p state.  I don't know exactly how I am going to do it.  I'm still trying to
figure it out.  That is why I released this.  I figure it will take me along
time to figure out what I am doing and so I figured I might as well get this
working version (even if it is missing alot of stuff) out the door.

About LPUB, Cocoa can be Objective-C or Java.  Objective-C is a subset of ANSI C
(like C++ is).  If it is just a command line tool like l3p, I can easily create
a GUI.  All my app does right now is get the button states and launch l3p with
the correct variables.  If LPUB isn't command line, well, I would have to know
what I am doing more.

No really, my programming skills are fruiting, so I am actually able to do stuff
now that I haven't for a long time.  But it takes me awhile, since I know so few
API's. Perhaps. I don't want to promise though because I am doing so many other
things (I've taken up drawing and writing and I've started writing a little
music again too!  But most important, I've actually started playing with my
LEGOS!)