 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 321
Re: Flat Panel 23" Monitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 01:27:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Ahui Herrera writes:
Mac users is it possible to connect this monitor or another other MAC flat
monitors to a PC?

Here is the link:
http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23/

I haven't visually compared them in person, but the Sony SDM-P232W/B is the
same 16:10 widescreen size (23"), and has the same native resulution
(1920x1200) as the 23" Cinema Display.  Plus, it lists for $500 less and
natively supports DVI-D and HD15.

DVI-D appears to be a digital-only connectotion.  I'm not 100% sure, but it
appears that a DVI-D cable can be connected to a DVI-I connector.  ATI
probably uses DVI-I to enable them to have a DVI to VGA converter cable.
The DVI-I connector outputs both digital and analog data.

Given that the Sony is designed for both PC and Mac use, you might have
better luck with it, and not need the extra DVI to ADC converter, assuming
you didn't have your heart set on the Cinema Display's physical looks.
Price Watch (www.pricewatch.com) has the Sony for as low as about $2500.  I
saw one in Fry's here in San Diego (for list price, ie $3000) about a week
ago, and thought it looked pretty sweet.

I'd give you the link on Sony's site, but it's accessed via a CGI program,
so I can't post the link.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)