 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 320
Re: Flat Panel 23" Monitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 22:14:05 GMT

Allthough these montors can be used with adapters (most, maybe not all of
these mac displays are NOT regular DVI) the contrast/brightness CANNOT be
adjusted with windows. This is done by the mac, but with windows you'd have
controls on the monitor, so you are going to have problems if you ever wanna
change those.

And there are plenty of nice 21+ standard dvi displays. Check out sony and
samsung's products. They should be cheeper too.

--Kyle

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Ahui Herrera writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Andrew Allan writes:
I have a Mac Cinema Display 22" on my machine, being driven by an ATI9000
Pro graphics card. Both this and the 23" display are digital monitors. The
ATI card has two monitor output ports (to drive two monitors at once if
necessary). One port is a DVI port (digital video interface?) and this
connects to the monitor. This port supplies both the digital video signal
and the monitor power.

In short to drive a large Mac flat display you need a video card with a
connector that supplies both a DVI output and power as well. I suggest you
contact ATI and NVIDIA as to whether their consumer cards have this
capability or not. Other than that the Mac displays are built to industry
standards and should work.

Andrew...

Thanks,

I got a ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON ATI CARD and according to the specs it can
handle this:

Digital Flat Panel (DVI-I) support (AGP version only)
DVI-I Interface lets you connect ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ to new DVI-I Digital
Flat Panels
Enjoy crisper and clearer images and reduce eyestrain from prolonged viewing
Save space on your desk
so based on what you said it might just be a matter of drives to worry about.

Those Mac monitors sure look nice and beat anything us PC people have expect
for the big 42+ plasm displays that nobody buy big companies can afford. =(
-AHui