 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 278
Re: Ldraw Viewer Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:44:14 GMT

Awesome!  The mouse behavior is very intuitive.  Click on part to select.
Click and drag to rotate model.  If no part is selected then the arrow keys
pan.  If a part is selected then the arrow keys move the part.

All it needs is a parts palette.  Need to be able to drag parts from the
palette onto the model. The parts need a rotate function (I don't recall
seeing this anywhere).

The menus need to be filled out.  You need to have some way of letting users
know what the keys are within the application (in my opinion).  The best
apps don't need docs.  Everything can be figured out from the menus or they
are shown on buttons right up front. Photoshop always shows you the keyboard
shortcut if you hover over a button.  I don't like all of Photoshops
palettes though. If anyone has used the music manuscripting program
Sibelius, you will know what I mean.  It has a palette with several tabs
that give you all the options.  Very little is in the menus, and just about
everything can be done by hitting a key.  How is that for human interface
guidelines.... Anyway.  I am a self taught computer user, and read docs as
little as I can get away with.  As a little kid I could figure everything
out from the menus and buttons.... This was on the Amiga.  so....  bla bla bla.

I like it.

James

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Andrew Allan writes:
A quick note, after a delay and vacation, I have posted an update to • Ldraw
Viewer on my .Mac site.

homepage.mac.com/aallan/LdGLite

I can't seem to get there from here.  I can get to here though: