 CAD / Development / 9273
Re: Part Renames
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:09:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jennifer L. Boger wrote:
Whatever the renames are, if we could make sure the former name is in the
keywords, so that it's still searchable?  Ie: if i search for "space" and am
looking for the old "space handlebars" I'd like to be able to, without having to
remember that 1) it's changed names 2) what that name is and 3) it's handlebars.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
A flood of BFC'd part has been submitted to the PT (Thanks John) and I like to
take an opportunity to discuss the renames of some of the parts to more
intuitive names:

30031
Space Handlebars to
Bar Handlebars or just Handlebars with a 0 CATEGORY Bar statement

2654
Boat  2 x  2 Stud to
Tile  2 x  2 Round Curved,  I'm mixed about this one but it definatly needs a
rename.

inverted?

2625
Boat Bow Plate  6 x  7 to
Wedge  6 x  7 Plate

3145
Tipper End to
Something more descriptive.  I have no idea what a tipper is.

I think tipper is fine.

71076
Exhaust Pipe Straight to
Brick  1  x  1  x  1 2/3 Round

4598
Space Seat  3 x  2 to
I'm stumped, any suggestions?

Bracket?

I think Bracket 3 x 2 x 2 would be the best alternative.  Keep the space seat
line, just use it a keyword.

And although I sure it has been mentioned before, I think that all theme names
should be relagated to keywords and not as parts categories.  Words like castle,
space, town and even boinicle are not intuitive.  A newer ldraw user might not
know that the goblet 2343 began its life in castle sets, and would probably
start searching for it under the minifig heading.  Not only that, but most of
these parts have been used in many more themes than the old names would lead you
to believe.