 CAD / Development / 9070
Re: Proposed solution *Test Here*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:09:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
I have tested your program against half a dozen files (including files with large
mirrored sub-assemblies for wings and such) and the L3P generated renderings
all showed the studs correctly. Well done.

That's good to hear.

However, it doesn't work with -lgeo...

Yeah.  I was aware of that.  The good news is that it should only be a problem
in LGEO if you have mirrored sub-assemblies.  Looking at the models I have
downloaded over time, I discovered that most people don't do this (not quite
sure why).

Fixing things for LGEO would require a lot of work, but wouldn't be impossible.
I believe it could be accomplished with a look-up table (in a config file,
presumably) mapping mirrored parts to their mirror images.

The table would also probably have to contain a mirror matrix specification for
many of the symmetric parts so that (for instance) a correct mirroring could be
performed on an L-shaped part to still have the result be in the same spot (in
this example, the mirroring would be diagonal, I guess).  We could have a
default matrix (around the Z axis probably, based on my current program) that
would be used for all parts not in the table, so the table would only have to
contain mirror matrices for those parts that aren't symetric around that axis.

On a side note, I plan to update the automatic unmirroring in LDView to be
around the Z axis, instead of the current X axis.  It surprised me to discover
while writing this program that many/most of the existing mirrored parts in the
parts library seem to mirror around the Z axis, so using this axis seems to
produce a higher percentage of non-upside-down stud logos.

--Travis Cobbs